➽Table of Contents
Blackjack is a game where the player’s decision can influence the outcome. Some players attempt to beat the house by counting cards, a method that involves keeping track of the proportion of high and low cards left in the deck. While card counting isn’t illegal per se, casinos generally frown upon the practice and may ban players who are suspected of it.
In the context of online blackjack, here’s how AI or tools could theoretically be used to gain an edge.
AI and Tools Usage and card counting in Online Blackjack
An AI or tool could be programmed to count cards and calculate the optimal strategy based on the composition of the deck. This could give players an edge over the house, at least in theory. An AI could potentially take into account far more variables than a human could, making more accurate predictions about what move to make next.
Is AI powered card counting the only strategy to raise the odds of winning?
Card counting is one well-known strategy to raise the odds of winning in Blackjack, but it’s not the only one. It’s also worth noting that many casinos (both online and physical) discourage card counting and may take measures to prevent it. Here are a few more strategies and ways that AI or apps could potentially support users in mastering them:
- Basic Strategy: This involves making the statistically best move for any given card combination. An AI could be programmed with the basic strategy and advise the player on the best move for any given situation. For example, it would suggest to always split Aces and 8s, or to double down on 11 if the dealer doesn’t show an Ace. However, keep in mind that this is a simplification; basic strategy can vary depending on the exact rules of the game.
- Bankroll Management: This involves making sure you have a sufficient number of bets to ride out losing streaks and avoid going broke. An AI or app could help monitor a player’s bankroll and suggest bet sizes according to various strategies, such as the Kelly criterion.
- Card Composition Dependent Strategy: This is an extension of the basic strategy and involves taking into account the exact composition of your hand, rather than just the point total. For example, a total of 16 can be made up with ten and a six, or a four, five, and seven. Depending on what the dealer shows, the best decision might be different for the two hands. An AI could keep track of the exact composition of your hand and suggest moves accordingly.
- Shuffle Tracking: This is a technique sometimes used in physical casinos where players try to keep track of certain groups of cards during the shuffle. While it would be extremely difficult (and against the rules) to use an AI or app for this purpose in a physical casino, an AI could potentially be trained to do this during practice sessions, helping the player to improve their skills.
- Hole Carding: This is another technique that involves observing the dealer’s face-down card when they check for blackjack. Again, while this would not be feasible or legal to do with an AI or app in a physical casino, a tool could be used in a simulated environment for training purposes.
Protection Measures Taken by Online Casinos
- Random Shuffle: In online blackjack, the deck is typically shuffled after each hand, making card counting virtually impossible. Even if an AI could keep track of the cards perfectly, the information wouldn’t be of much use because the composition of the deck would be completely different for the next hand.
- Multiple Decks: Many online casinos use multiple decks of cards, which makes card counting significantly more difficult.
- Regulation and Monitoring: Online casinos are regulated by various authorities that impose strict rules to ensure fair play. They often use sophisticated software to monitor games and detect any patterns that might indicate cheating.
- Terms of Service: Using an AI or tool to gain an edge would likely be against the terms of service of the online casino. Violating these terms could result in penalties, including being banned from the platform.
In summary, while it might be technically possible to design an AI or tool to cheat at online blackjack, the reality is that online casinos have a number of robust mechanisms in place to prevent such strategies from being successful. Attempting to cheat in this way is not only likely to be unsuccessful but could also result in serious consequences.