➽Table of Contents
The most popular horror game ever created is probably “Resident Evil,” a survival horror video game franchise developed by Capcom. The series first launched in 1996 and has since become one of the most successful and influential horror game franchises of all time, with numerous sequels, spin-offs, and adaptations across various platforms.
One reason for the popularity of “Resident Evil” is its innovative gameplay mechanics, which combine exploration, puzzle-solving, and combat to create a tense and immersive horror experience. The game also features memorable characters and settings, including the zombie-infested Racoon City and the mysterious Umbrella Corporation, which have become iconic within the horror genre.
Its a small franchise universe on its own!
The “Resident Evil” franchise has spawned a wide range of products and adaptations, including movies, television shows, comic books, novels, and merchandise. Here’s a brief overview of some of the most notable products:
- “Resident Evil” (2002)
- “Resident Evil: Apocalypse” (2004)
- “Resident Evil: Extinction” (2007)
- “Resident Evil: Afterlife” (2010)
- “Resident Evil: Retribution” (2012)
- “Resident Evil: The Final Chapter” (2016)
- “Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness” (2021)
- “Resident Evil: The Official Comic Magazine” (1998-1999)
- “Resident Evil” (2009-2011)
- “Resident Evil: Fire and Ice” (2010)
- “Resident Evil: The Marhawa Desire” (2012-2013)
- “Resident Evil: Heavenly Island” (2015-2016)
- “Resident Evil: Zero Hour” (2004)
- “Resident Evil: City of the Dead” (1999)
- “Resident Evil: Underworld” (1999)
- “Resident Evil: Nemesis” (2000)
- “Resident Evil: Code Veronica” (2001)
- Action figures
- Video game soundtracks
How successful is it really?
As for revenue and number of players, it’s difficult to provide a comprehensive answer as the franchise has had so many different products and adaptations over the years. However, here are a few general statistics:
- As of March 2021, the “Resident Evil” video game franchise had sold over 107 million copies worldwide.
- The six “Resident Evil” movies have grossed over $1.2 billion at the box office worldwide.
- “Resident Evil 7: Biohazard” (2017) sold over 8.5 million copies as of December 2020, making it one of the best-selling games in the franchise.
Overall, the “Resident Evil” franchise has been incredibly successful and has had a significant impact on the horror genre and video game industry.